Our youngest pupils embark on their magical, full time learning journey at Prep surrounded by a beautiful landscape and in a happy and inspiring environment. There is a genuine family feel here, with a contagious sense of fun and energy as our children grow and learn. Here are five reasons why a perfect start to school life begins at Embley.
1. Inspiring young minds and building solid learning foundations
Our approach is simple. We provide children with learning opportunities that challenge the individual at an appropriate level and inspire their young minds, equipping them with the confidence, independence and positive learning behaviours that form a firm foundation for a school education.
While we do not believe in putting unnecessary pressure on young children, we do believe in valuing early academic rigour that fosters a skilful learner and an inquisitive mind. At its core, our curriculum follows the EYFS framework and we monitor and assess each child’s progress through observation and independent tasks.
2. Specialised teaching that sparks a love for learning
We believe that children benefit from working with the most skilful and supportive adults possible. To develop interest in a wide range of subjects, our young learners benefit from specialist teaching in subjects such as French, Philosophy for Children and PE.
3. A tailored curriculum with a generous helping of fun
Our class topics are engaging and they are adapted to the interests of each class but include ‘Me, myself & I’, ‘Traditional tales’, ‘Animal Kingdom’ and ‘Places to visit in the world’. A range of school trips complement our curriculum and bring learning further to life. Be it Marwell Zoo, the Watercress Line at Alresford or a bear hunt in Embley’s woods, we always include a generous helping of fun to stimulate a love for learning.
4. Using the latest technology to support learning
From Reception upwards, every child is not only provided with their own school iPad as part of our whole school Digital Learning Strategy, but more importantly, the skills and knowledge to use that iPad as an enabler and accomplice to successful learning.
5. Endless opportunities beyond the classroom
Reception mirrors our whole school approach in terms of providing the widest breadth of educational experience possible. Learning doesn’t stop when the lessons finish. Our Reception children have daily access to a broad range of co-curricular clubs and activities at lunchtime and after school. From Embley Explorers and pottery to musical theatre and board games, there is something for everyone. For busy families, creche is available until 6:00pm each day.
Take a look inside our Reception classroom
No two days are ever the same with our diverse curriculum encouraging every child to grow each day. However, it is important for the children to have a sense of routine to help them settle into school.
Watch this short video and meet our Reception teacher and find out more about our school day.
How to help your child prepare for Reception
There are many ways in which parents can help ensure a smooth transition to Reception regardless of any previous nursery or early years childcare experiences:
- Read at home with your child on a daily basis and encourage them to read words around the home to provide real life context to phonics e.g. on food packaging while you are preparing a meal, and distinguish between the alphabet and letter sounds.
- Help your child recognise and write their first name and high frequency words, such as the, and, of, you, me.
- Practice counting up to 10 regularly e.g. counting the stairs as you climb, places at the dinner table and help your child recognise different shapes in everyday tasks.
- Talk to your child about different topics, e.g. about their interests, places or family
- Encourage your child to be more self-sufficient by helping them to use the toilet and dress independently.
Find out more
As a next step in your decision-making process, we would be delighted to welcome to you to Embley either at an open morning or for an individual tour of our school.
Please click here for further information about how to book a visit.
Visit Us & Welcome Daysclick here