Our Nursery rooms
- A nurturing and caring environment for the youngest of children with a maximum of eight caterpillars per room to ensure the best individual care and education.
- Music, PE and Learning Outside the Classroom (LOC) lessons taught by our specialist subject teachers
- Children start building independence and personal and social interactions with others.
- Many caterpillars begin to show an interest in toilet training and our staff will support parents in continuing strategies implemented at home.
- We use mainly child-led and adult-led activities based upon a child’s interests and next steps of development.
- Our school-wide phonics system, Read Write Inc. is introduced in the form of songs and rhymes about the letters.
- Children develop listening and attention skills and number recognition along with taking part in specialist Modern Foreign Languages in addition to Music, PE and LOC lessons.
- Games such as ‘What’s the Time Mister Wolf’ and ‘Duck Duck Goose’ are played to encourage turn-taking.
- Bumblebees enjoy dough disco and peg dancing to promote correct pencil grip in preparation for early mark-making.
- Mainly child-led and adult-led activities based upon a child’s interests and next steps of development.
- We introduce daily Mathematics and Read Write Inc. phonics lessons which are structured to develop a child’s further understanding of letter sounds and how to segment and blend them into words.
- Children improve their concentration skills, which involves mindfulness and small group work, and learning through activities of their choosing.
- They continue to enjoy specialist Modern Foreign Language, PE, LOC and Music lessons as part of our curriculum.
- In the Summer term, to help prepare for Reception class, our butterflies are required to attend nursery for a minimum of four full days per week. This enables our children to access more of the learning opportunities on offer across the week and builds their experience of attending a full week in school.
- Children in Butterfly room regularly attend assemblies with the Prep School and take part in the Prep School performances such as Celebration Day, the Nativity and Christmas shows.