Our Music scholars demonstrate promising musical talent and participate fully in the musical life of the school. Candidates applying for this award in Year 7 should have reached Grade 4 (minimum) or equivalent on their instrument of choice by the date of the scholarship assessment. Higher standards for Year 9 will normally be expected. At Year 12, candidates should demonstrate a musical ability to Grade 6+ or equivalent as well as have a proficient grasp of music theory. They would be expected to participate in a minimum of two ensembles at school, seeking a leadership opportunity within one of these ensembles.
Candidates will be invited to an audition and interview with our Director of Music. For the auditions, candidates will be asked to prepare two contrasting pieces of music:
- The arrangements should last no longer than 10 minutes in total.
- They are responsible for either providing their own accompanist or notifying the Director of Music that one will need to be arranged.
- The pieces may be performed on any combination of instruments or voice.
- If a candidate wishes to also demonstrate their level of playing ability on a second instrument, then this will be welcomed.
For the interview, candidates will be asked to:
- Talk about their past and present musical activities. They may bring any evidence to support this.
- Discuss what they enjoy about music making.
- Complete tests of aural recognition, sight reading or improvisation.